Thursday, May 11, 2017

Simple Snackin' (Low Acid)


The diagnosis of osteoporosis in my early 50's hit me hard.
Being someone who has lived a clean life,
including a decent diet and an active lifestyle,
it kind of blindsided me.
Recently, I found out that although I have been
doing everything I can think of to improve the health of my bones,
my osteoporosis continues to get worse.
It was pretty devastating news.
 
The available drugs used to "treat" this malady are not an option for me.
The side effects are too many and too horrible for me to even consider.
It would be something akin to being prescribed heroin, in my opinion.

So, I am ramping up in other areas of my life.
With the research I've been doing,
weight-bearing exercise seems to be the number one factor in maintaining bone health.
At this point, I will be happy just to keep what density I still have,
but I wouldn't mind regaining some of my bone mass.
I can't imagine a life without activity, and so I am doing what I can to help my bones,
including lifting weights and changing up my diet.
At this point, I don't know if it will be enough,
but I am just taking things one day at a time
and continuing my research.


One thing I recently read about to help with osteoporosis
is eating a low-acid diet.
outlines the plan to nurture bone health. 
This is a plant-based diet focused on mineral-rich foods.
As I have been a quasi-vegetarian for most of my life,
this shouldn't be too great of a transition.
I found a meal plan to follow,
which makes it so much easier to make changes.
This bean dip is a quick way to add protein to the menu,
without depending on meat-laden meals.
It can be eaten with crackers, toasted bread or veggies
and can be whipped up in minutes.

*If osteoporosis runs in your family,
I strongly urge you investigate diet and exercise
so that you can be proactive in avoiding a diagnosis.



White Bean Hummus
1 C cooked white beans 
1 small clove garlic
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cumin
1 t lemon juice
1/4 C-1/2 C olive oil

Add all ingredients into blender or food processor
and whiz for a few minutes until desired consistency is achieved.
This dip lasts for a week in the fridge.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!