Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Kitchen Sink, Organized


Small projects can make a big impact.
It's always rewarding to improve a spot in your home
that gets heavy use.
Sometimes just a simple tweak can make all the difference.


The area under the kitchen sink was annoying me.
It's not that it's jammed packed with stuff,
but I didn't like all the wasted space.
I found an easy solution.



Stacking bins can be used in so many places.
They use the vertical space available
and can be set in cupboards, on shelves or in closets.


This set of three stackable bins was perfect for my needs.


The handles on the sides of the bins fold out
so that the container on top can rest there.


If you decide to use these without the stacking feature,
the flap folds back and adds a bit more stability to the handles.


The first step was to clear out the cabinet.
I knew the fire extinguisher was going to stay put,
so I merely removed everything and wiped it all down,
then replaced the fire extinguisher.
Don't ask me what all the extra hoses are here.
(We plan to update our kitchen next year,
and this will include a new sink.)


Big K had previously installed this wire rack
to house our plastic bags, aluminum foil and parchment paper.
This way, they don't take up valuable drawer space,
but are still easily accessible. 
I dream of the day we don't need to use plastic food storage bags anymore,
but I will probably never be able to give up parchment paper.
At least it's biodegradable.


The cabinet already had this handy-dandy sliding trash bin holder.



Because the pipes were in the way,
the previous owner had cut off the corner of the trash can,
so that it fit properly in the space.
Clever, huh?


Here's the before and after.
The cleaning caddy on the right in the before picture
was relocated to the laundry closet.
The items remaining here are only the materials needed for the kitchen.
Trash bags, dishwasher tablets, nitrile gloves, sponges
and our homemade bug repellents all fit neatly in the bins.
The refill container for my cleaning solution
and the bulky vinegar bottle rest beside them.
I use these two things for most of my cleaning.
It feels so much more spacious, just by adding the stackables.
The more decluttering I do,
the better I feel. 
In a future post, I will feature the laundry closet makeover.

Little changes=big improvements.
The hardest part is getting started.

New House Series:
Moving Toward Bliss
A Fresh Look
Under the Spell of IKEA
Fan-Tastic!
Closet Project
Bad to the Bone Beadboard
Desk Top Project



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!